Vertech delivered a 28-day scope of work during the 2021 GWA turnaround, providing a highly skilled and multi-disciplined team to complete the complex task of replacing the exhaust stack and remediating the flare tower’s structure.
The RB211 Exhaust Stack ensures the reliable and safe disposal of high-temperature exhaust to a secure location eliminating high-temperature medium contact with personnel or a potentially combustible atmosphere in the area.
The exhaust stack on the Export compressor’s power turbine is 20+ years old and no longer meets the original design intent. Cracks have been discovered on some areas of the exhaust stack, allowing the escape of hot gases, heating the stack insulation, and causing hot spots on the insulation over the limits specified within Goodwyn’s performance standard.
During the Low-Pressure Train (LPT) Conversion project in 2006, the stack was removed for onshore welding repairs to expansion joint and silencer areas, then reinstated with new lagging.
The Exhaust stack is approximately 18 meters high and comprises a weather seal, expansion joint, lagged transition section, silencer section and six exhaust stack sections.
Project Scope of Work
With five weeks’ notice, in the middle of the Coronavirus lockdowns, Vertech were asked to support critical path activities as part of the 2021 Goodwyn Turnaround.
The scope of work included:
- the Turbine Exhaust Stack Removal and Replacement,
- fabric maintenance, and
- inspection scopes on the Goodwyn Alpha Flare tower.
Delivery of mechanical and inspection scopes was required within a shortened planning phase and a set execution window.
- Establishment of a project team.
- Project planning with both Woodside Energy and their EPCM.
- Project scheduling and close cooperation with the client Integrated Activity Planers (IAP).
- HAZID Workshops.
- Project Work packs.
- Equipment mobilisation.
- Onshore inspection of materials for the Exhaust Stack in Karratha Supply Base.
- Resourcing of 18 multi-disciplined personnel during state lockdowns.
- Project briefings and Hazard discussions.
- Client-specific Verification of Competency assessments (VOCs).
- Closeout Reporting.
Speak to Vertech Group about Your Next Project
"*" indicates required fields